Insta: cccskindoc

Wednesday 16 August 2017

Facial Eczema

I have eczema since childhood. I believed I have my eczema inherited from my father. My eczema has been mild all these while until my pregnancy when it suddenly become very severe. I am now 5 months post delivery but my eczema is getting worse each day. It is all over my face and I feel very miserable and depressed.

I have visited numerous doctors and tried numerous creams, steroids and non-steroids, but each time, it came back after a few days. None of the medicine heals. I expressed my frustration on facebook, and after recommendations from another mother, I seek treatment at a traditional chinese medicine centre from Taipei. I was given a soap, a spray and some creams. It helps a bit but still comes back. I was told I can't take medicine because I am still breastfeeding.

I lose my temper easily and totally lost my confident to get out of the house. What can I do?

Hugs. You are not alone. Eczema can be very frustrating. Especially when it involves the face of a young mother.

The Basics

Eczema is a group of inflammatory problem involving skin that is usually itchy. There are many types of eczema.

The one that you seems to have from your description maybe:
  • Atopic eczema: typically starts young, with personal or family history of atopy, associated with defect in skin barrier and immune dysfunction
  • Contact dermatitis: typically persistent and relapsing, particularly if the culprit allergens or irritants is not identified, and appropriate skin care is not in place
A little detective work

Could this be the culprit?
  • Nickel and chromium, not necessarily from costume jewelleries, don't forget the mobile phones (Not common, but people can be allergic to silicone cover of the phone as well)
  • Preservatives and fragrance in cleansing agent including shampoo, cleanser, mouth wash.
  • Skin care products
  • Cosmetics 

Important points:

A product that has been used for several years may not necessarily be safe because:
  • We are not born with allergy, allergy develops over time.
  • The manufacturers can change their formulas to include different ingredient and may not states it clearly.
Don't forget indirect applications can come from the touch of your own hand.

How to get better? 

Management plan of eczema needs to be personalised. Things that need to take into considerations include the stage and severity of your condition.

If your skin is weeping and oozy, you may need temporary usage of astringents, baths or even draining of water blisters. Viral and bacterial infections, if present, must be treated.

Generally, steroids and non-steroidal products help to reduce inflammation, itch and all the suffering that you are having right now.

Moisturised your skin as often as you can. Choose a hypoallergenic moisturiser. Choose an occlussive moisturiser that coats and protects your skin, preventing transepidermal water loss. Choose a therapeutic moisturiser that will help to restore the defective skin barrier.

Avoiding the culprit should get you better within a week or two although it might take months to clear up completely. If you are really not sure which is the culprit, patch testing may help.

You might be interested to read about:
Food and Eczema
Color cosmetics and Eczema
Steroid fear 
Do's and Don'ts of Using Topical Steroids
Bathing in Eczema
Acne and Eczema
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Telemedicine - The Yay and Nay

Telemedicine is not new. My very first telemedicine experience started in 2013 when I was still practising in government hospital. The servi...